Pages

Michigan

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

General Conference Traditions

I love General Conference. It is such a great time to enjoy hearing from the apostles and prophet. The other thing I love are the traditions I have enjoyed for years. The first is pressing apples. This has been the easiest time for all of us to normally get together is over general conference. We all head to my parents house and press the apples that we have either gathered or picked. This year we picked apples from the other kindergarten teacher at my school's house. Her trees were so loaded that we got about 40 boxes or so and stopped picking. Brian and I spent about 7 hours each that week picking apples and we were done. So we have plenty of apples and lots of juice to get. So far we have only maybe pressed 13 of the boxes and we have gotten probably close to 45 gallons of juice.
The other tradition is to make a craft. This year nobody had anything planned so Jan and I after the football game (and Brian's volleyball game getting canceled) decided it would be fun to get together and do a craft. So the next day after we finished with the apples, we grabbed a couple bottles to enjoy as cider and headed to Salt Lake.
Brian got to listen/watch the priesthood session, his first in like 3 or 4 years (and yes there are two a year and this was still his first in that long--sports are to blame). He enjoyed it at the home of Spencer's grandparents with some yummy ice cream. Jan and I headed to another relatives house and helped get a few things that they were doing done. I made a spider web for someone and then helped Jan make a fun Candy Corn Cone.


We then spent the night since it was late so we decided to do another craft the next morning during conference. We hurried to buy the supplies late while we got the cider going. We then painted our frames and went to bed.
The next morning after a yummy breakfast we started our craft. After playing around with a couple ideas of how to lay out the candy corns we both decided we liked one way and went to town. The craft took seriously an hour and looks so cute. We love how it turned out.


Both crafts that were made and taken home were spin offs of things seen on pinterest and I like the way ours turned out better. Guess now it is time to plan a girls night because I want to make a cute Thanksgiving craft and some Christmas ones.

No comments: