Friday, April 2, 2010
Web Applications
Today in technology we learned all about web applications. This is where you find interactive games and information for children. One of the sites that I was given to look at was http://www.education.noaa.gov/students.html where I found some interactive things on science. The best thing I found was a coloring book that goes through all the weather. So I could teach about it and the children could color the pages after learning and then go home and teach their parents about the weather they learned about. This would help cover the science standard of learning about the environment they live in. We could discuss after each weather if it is one we see where we live. With me wanting to teach kindergarten a lot of the resources given to me to look at by my teacher were a little too hard. I was stressed out with the lack of success I was having. So I ventured into some of my own sites and found pbskids.org. It has so many games and they work for many subjects. The one that would be great to use for the beginning of the year with my students is Curious George-Juggling George. You are asked to provide so many fruit to George for him to juggle. The kids get to decide what fruit to give and how much of that fruit. Very interactive and focused on thought process. This focuses on the math standard of one to one correspondence. They are plenty of other games out there too. It is just takes the time of me trying them to determine which would be best for those in my class since an average Kindergarten class can have the age difference of maturity from 3 to 8, which makes it difficult to determine what would be best to use.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I like the idea of having the kids take home their coloring pages and teach their parents but I'd be a little careful not to emphasize that too much because what about the kids whose parents are always working or perhaps not interested you don't want to make them feel excluded.
I agree and really like your idea of including the parents. To avoid parents who might not be as interested, you could get in touch with them personally instead of leaving it up to your students to make sure they are involved. Let them know how important it is to your students that their parents take an active role.
It looks like you found some really great resources! I loved that you talked about having your kids color their weather and then go home and share with their parents. This would be a great way for them to really make their learning concrete and will get the parents involved! Great idea.
When you can reinforce what you learned at school it is always a good thing. Just be careful of those who may not have parents who are there or interested in helping them. But it sounds like a great idea!
Post a Comment